(urth) On Pedophilia and Homosexuality

Jerry Friedman jerry_friedman at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 21 20:40:57 PDT 2010

From: Lee Berman <severiansola at hotmail.com>

> Here are the suspicious circumstances to me on this issue in BotNS-
>
> 1. Conspicuously absent is mention of homosexual activities among the
> members of the guild.

So true.

> From prisons to Greek armies to British boarding
> schools, such behavior is rather well-known in such isolated all-male
> settings but it is not mentioned here.
>
> If this was Lord Of The Flies (1954) leaving such a thing in subtext
> but unspoken would be understandable. But this story describes some
> pretty bizarre sexual situations, from grandmotherly incest to sex
> with alien beings. Why avoid all mention of this thing?
>
> Severian would have us believe he had no sexual thoughts or activities
> before age 20 and his meeting of Thecla, the House Azure, etc.

Does he say that, or does he just not mention his sexual thoughts and any
activities?

When Roche takes Severian to the House Azure, he warns him not to "strike her or
use a grip", because they charge more.  Why should it be so likely that a
torturer's apprentice would do the same thing in a sexual situation that he does
to force the younger boys to obey him?  Just askin'.

> Severian suggests the
> beast handler guild is similar to his own, and they each take an animal
> in marriage. What do the torturers do? I don't get the impression
> Master Gurloes frequents the House Azure.

I think he might, but the journeymen probably don't go often, and it seems to be
unusual for an apprentice to go.

[snipping other interesting points]

Jerry Friedman