(urth) Ymar The Almost Just

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Mon Jul 19 14:35:24 PDT 2010

On 7/19/2010 2:09 PM, James Wynn wrote:
> On 7/19/2010 8:04 AM, António Pedro Marques wrote:
>> Wasn't Ymar a torturer? Has anyone analyzed the significance of both
>> the first and the last Autarchs (and two we know did take the test)
>> being torturers?
>
> Do we know anything about the other Autarchs? Perhaps they were all
> reared at the Order of the Seekers of Truth and Penitence.

The Old Autarch was apprentice honey steward, and spent his childhood in
a town near or perhaps above the House Absolute. Immediately previous
autarchs probably weren't torturers, "Severian the Torturer", as Sev
reports his enemies called him, wouldn't have any bite.

There were also apparently one or more pre-Typhon rulers of some status
called "autarch", since the resurrected Typhon accepts the title from
the ignorant Severian when they "first" meet in Citadel. Or perhaps
Typhon takes it as the local form of "autocrat".

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
IEEE Student Chapter Blog at
< http://ieeetamut.org >