(urth) Fr Inire + Cumean + others

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Sat Jul 17 10:43:11 PDT 2010

On 7/17/2010 7:53 AM, David Stockhoff wrote:
> I'd guess something happened at that moment to put Severian into that
> perspective. Perhaps it wasn't Severian who slipped into 4 dimensions
> but the Cumaean.

He sees 4D on several occasions, generally whenever something departs
into the Corridors of Time "in that direction I had never seen until I
watched the ship vanish into it from the top of Baldanders's castle and
could only see, it seemed, when there was something there. Immediately
he turned and began to run, and despite the dimness of the dawn sky I
could see his running figure for a long time, illuminated by
intermittent but regular flashes. At last he faded to a point of
darkness; but then, just when I expected that point to disappear
utterly, it began to grow, so that I had the impression of something
huge rushing toward me down that strangely angled tunnel."

I've seen the snake/pink worm metaphor used before with higher
dimensionality, particularly Heinlein's "Lifeline", but Sev's visions of
objects in the corridors seem more literal.

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
IEEE Student Chapter Blog at
< http://ieeetamut.org >