(urth) Patera Inire

Craig Brewer cnbrewer at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 17 08:47:44 PDT 2010

>The religion faded away, but not Inire. He may have kept the title  Father,
>just as the Domnicellae of the Pelerines was addressed as  Mother.

This final point really strikes home, methinks. The theory also ties up all the
various strands of Inire's manipulations quite well.

So what of "Patera," then? When we get to Long Sun, are we supposed to tie the
"Inire Religion" to what Pas has created? "Patera" (a nice mix of the possibly
Spanish/SouthAmerican/Nessus-influenced "padre" and Latin "pater") is of course
suitably close to "Father" (the "authentic" word Inire used, or at least as the
translator had it). Could this suggest a connection-to-yet-corruption-of the New
Sun religion, rather than the LS theology being completely Pas, et al.'s
creation?

Quite a stretch, but Inire's title always did stand out, and the title/office is
so prominent in LS that it seems worth considering.

Craig