(urth) Master Ultan's Library

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Fri Jul 16 23:51:40 PDT 2010

On 7/16/2010 8:29 PM, Gwern Branwen wrote:
> (This is an out-of-universe explanation, yes, but I don't think the
> in-universe explanations are tenable, since when Severian writes it,
> doesn't he already plan to set it adrift it the void?)

That depends on if we are reading the translation of the first copy,
left behind, or of the second, written aboard the Ship.

I personally think he wrote the second to keep his mind(s) occupied with
a diversion instead of dwelling on his likely emasculation, and the
notional provenance of the ms translated by G.W. as well as the
artifacts he has examined includes apportation by mirror or
transportation through the Botanic Gardens.

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
IEEE Student Chapter Blog at
< http://ieeetamut.org >