(urth) Master Ultan's Library

DAVID STOCKHOFF dstockhoff at verizon.net
Fri Jul 16 07:52:47 PDT 2010

Perhaps. In other words, "you, the reader, who will one day find this book on a shelf and read it." But underwhelming. Why "delve into Ultan's library" when all you need to do is ask for a copy of the Autarch's latest picaresue novel?

Are we to assume that (1) Severian expects to place the book in the Library and ONLY there (2) that it will stay there for a long time (3) that it will be read at all, in HIS future? That he knows nothing of the Flood to come? Is that future revealed to him only during UotNS?

Bummer. No one will read his book, since it will survive in neither past nor future, unless the Library itself travels through time, or its holdings do.

Who goes into the stacks? Who reads Ultan's books? Anyone other than librarians and seekers after the Book of Gold?

Does this really add up?