(urth) Tzadkiel/Melek Taus

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Wed Jul 14 12:34:09 PDT 2010

On 7/14/2010 7:28 AM, David Stockhoff wrote:
> Good one!
>
> I should say, not just "pulp cliches" but Golden Age of Science Fiction
> cliches.
>
> I think they are intended to suggest exactly the sense of "boyish"
> wonder that they do in fact inspire---but looking back, not forward.

There are a few latter period ones, like the giant flying robot warriors
guarding Typhon's mountain citadel. Of course, in the conceit of the
Book as Dr Talos mentions, their existence in the future inspires people
to dream about them and write about them in the Golden and Silver Ages!

And my earlier objection about how people would pick out a particular
image out of the all images from all of time is a bit silly ,
considering they're non-physical notional technologies decorating a
non-materialist's novel, like complaining that fairies are shown with
wings of insufficient lifting area.

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
IEEE Student Chapter Blog at
< http://ieeetamut.org >