(urth) UotNS and how it screws with your head

Jerry Friedman jerry_friedman at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 13 11:54:02 PDT 2010

From: David Stockhoff <dstockhoff at verizon.net>

>So you're thinking power could be drained from past Sun to future Sun? That's
>interesting---not what I thought
>at all. Sensible though.
>
>I assume that all universes coexist, and they are layered like a wedding cake,
>or like Able's world. Love flows >from the top. Rotating spigots moved by elves
>and fairies control the flow. Devils punch holes in the frosting. >What goes
>down does not come up, because the love is indeed inexhaustible.
>
>Typhon preceded the Autarchs. Thus, he preceded FI, who began the program of
>rehabilitation. But it's hard to >see what Typhon did that could be so horribly
>wrong, beyond indulging in his own creation (i.e., the Whorl).

I'm enjoying this.  I like the idea that Severian created both the Black Pit and
the White Fountain as the two ends of the same structure, with Murphy's Law
applying to the timing.

I'm also enjoying the other idea that the Black Pit drains energy to a lower
universe and the White Fountain is a drain from the higher one.  Is Severian's
White Fountain causing global cooling in Yesod?  Is the Black Pit being
worshipped in Abaddon?  Sunlight is better than justice, so black holes in suns
are worse than injustice--sort of tough on the Yesodis, maybe.

> If a Conciliator bridges gulfs and closes gaps, could he also add 1+ (-1) and
>get 0?

And can he teach my students to?

Jerry Friedman