(urth) lots of stuff

Jerry Friedman jerry_friedman at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 13 11:47:13 PDT 2010

From: António Pedro Marques <entonio at gmail.com>
>Ryan Dunn wrote:

>>> I suppose the default pronunciation is ['fAT at rI'naI at r]. Does this look like
>>>something else mistranscribed?
>>>
>>> The 'father' part is more or less established, unless 'father' itself is an
>>>enlgish transalation of a misheard original.
>>>
>>> 'Inire' itself doesn't seem to offer many possibilities. ['InIri], [I'ni at r],
>>>[InI'r at I]?
>>>
>>> ['] stresses the syllable following it
>>> [I] short i
>>> [@] the uh sound in -er
>>> [i] long i

You know "long i" in American English means the vowel in "eye", /aI/?  We use
"long" for the vowel sounds that "say their names".  The usage in other
English-speaking is different, I think.

>> [T] th

(You want /D/ for the "th" in "father".)

>> I've always assumed it's pronounced:
>>
>> FAH-thur in-AYr (aka father-in-ire)

>> I.e. ['fAT at rI'naI at r]

>> no?

> LH says an audiobook has in-EER [I'ni at r] while his? own pronunciation is
> in-EER-ay [I'ni at re].

I'm with Lane: I pronounce it in foreign, /@n'ireI/.  (I don't have a Texas
accent.)

Jerry Friedman