(urth) Monkey business

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Mon Jul 12 19:16:09 PDT 2010

On 7/12/2010 6:29 PM, David Stockhoff wrote:
> I agree.
>
> One comment though---I thought Rudesind was tall because of his long
> limbs, but you're right---he's average to short. Severian is tall but
> not that tall.
>
> However, those long limbs and short height do create a problem. He
> doesn't sound human. How is it possible to have long arms/legs/feet and
> yet be short?

"When I admitted I did not, he scrambled down from the ladder like an
aged monkey, seeming all arms and legs and wrinkled neck; his hands were
as long as my feet, the crooked fingers laced with blue veins."

He may simply have a short torso, by birth, osteoporosis, or both. I've
seen such an older man around the town where I live who was barely five
feet tall but still able to ride an adult-sized tricycle. He would come
in to pay on his account at the Sears where I worked years ago, and when
he waiting stationary in line I noticed his fingertips nearly reached
his knees, a common simian detail.

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
IEEE Student Chapter Blog at
< http://ieeetamut.org >