(urth) Dorcas (was: The mystery of the image of an astronaut cleaned by Rudesind)

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Fri Jul 9 17:00:13 PDT 2010

> James Wynn wrote:
> [snip]
>> If it was explained in terms at all before the late 90s, I'm unaware of
>> it. [snip]
> On 7/9/2010 5:49 PM, Roy C. Lackey wrote:
> It is stated in the original LEXICON URTHUS, p-90, published in 1994, that
> Dorcas is Severian's paternal grandmother.

This is an excellent example of what I'm talking about.

In the definition for Dorcas, Mantis places her status as Severian's
grandmother in the commentary...a location that, in the 1st edition, he
seems to have favored for speculation and spoilers. Far less often for
self-evident points of fact. And as Tony Ellis IIRC referenced, many
people viewed it as a feint. And why wouldn't they? Sev's opinion about
Ouen's and Catharine's connection is rather peculiar: "A woman you loved
or perhaps only one who loved you".

> On 7/9/2010 6:34 PM, Ryan Dunn wrote:
> I've read BotNS twice through, and am on a third scouring, non-linear, clue hunting, note-taking. I came to the grandma Dorcas without much effort, which is saying alot if you've read my previous argument starters (aka mailing list threads).

I'm not going to disparage those who had alternate readings in this
case. Suffice that Wolfe has instilled extreme paranoia in his
readership and inclined them to straining at ants. I don't say he has no
one to blame but himself, but he bears a large culpability.

u+16b9