(urth) Dorcas (was: The mystery of the image of an astronaut cleaned by Rudesind)

Ryan Dunn ryan at liftingfaces.com
Fri Jul 9 16:34:12 PDT 2010

On Jul 9, 2010, at 6:16 PM, James Wynn wrote:

>>> James Wynn wrote:
>>> The issue is whether Dorcas as Sev's grandmother was
>>> explained in terms that made it convincing to all.
>>>
>> On 7/9/2010 4:53 PM, Tony Ellis wrote:
>> No, the issue in this thread is whether it was explained in terms so
>> *un*convincing that you were right to call it 'a half-baked theory' or
>> 'only understood 20 years after the book was published'.
>>

> No. You misread part of that. I did not call it a half-baked theory. I said this:
>> The only reason
>> it's not sitting on the "Half-baked Theory" pile today is because Wolfe
>> uncharacteristically confirmed it to a questioner.
>>

> If it was explained in terms at all before the late 90s, I'm unaware of it.

I've read BotNS twice through, and am on a third scouring, non-linear, clue hunting, note-taking. I came to the grandma Dorcas without much effort, which is saying alot if you've read my previous argument starters (aka mailing list threads).

But I think the point was, it wasn't explained in the late 90's, but rather in the mid-80's when the books were published, because the explanations are in the text, quite obviously in my opinion.

Dorcas and the boatman birthed 'You-Are-My-Mother-Come-Again' Ouen.

Ouen knocked up Catherine, who was handed to the torturers where she birthed Severian (plenty exposition going to great lengths to explain what happens when a woman gives birth while a client of the Matachin Tower.

And finally, Severian clearly described as sharing Ouen's profile.

Done and done, as far as I can deduce.

Now, about those monkeys........

...ryan