(urth) Monkey business

David Duffy davidD at qimr.edu.au
Fri Jul 9 16:13:12 PDT 2010

On Fri, 9 Jul 2010, Lee Berman wrote:

> Oh, some further thoughts on monkeys and Inire- I agree
> that "dog-faced baboon" is the likely reference for the
> cynocephalus. I think it might tie in with the Egyptian
> god Thoth who had an ibis head while in heaven but a
> baboon head while in the underworld. Snips from Wikipedia
> say:

[SNIP]

Only slightly off topic, I was pleased with my keen insight honed
from reading Wolfe :), when I saw this driving the plot of Evelyn
Waugh's _Decline and Fall_.

A Google search has just pointed out to me that Waugh's birthday of
October 28 is the start of the Isia (the holiday of Isis).

Actually, does anyone think Severian could be Pennyfeather?  Sent down in
disgrace... The Autarch is then Margot Beste-Chetwynde, Philbrick is
Inire...

Cheers, David Duffy,