(urth) Tzadkiel/Melek Taus

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 9 14:13:14 PDT 2010

A.P.M.:> Sure, but that is not the point I am getting at. The question I'm asking
> relates to the Urthly representatives of good. Surely there should be
> someone - apart from a few witch doctors maybe - standing up for the
> prevention of the White Fountain, if that's what the Increate wants?

I think what the Increate wants is not just for the White Fountain to save the
sun, but for Severian to go through a series of massive trials and tribulations
to bring the White Fountain. They are necessary.

(and they ARE necessary in a meta-fictive way. The Increate of this universe is,
in fact Gene Wolfe. And it would be one crappy universe/story if all we got was
"Black Hole in sun. Plugged with White Fountain. The End." Wolfe HAD to give
Severian trials and tribulations).

Anyway, I think all of Ascia and the war can be seen as efforts by great powers
(Abaia, Erebus etc.) to stop the coming of the New Sun. Clearly the coming of
the White Fountain is tied to the Autarchy. And if Ascia won and took over the
Commonwealth there would be no Autarch. Only The Group of Seventeen.

As analogues to ancient pagan monsters, those megatherians have a lot
to lose from a purifying Judeo-Christian flood. They'd be reduced to being
just some old mythological stories.