(urth) The mystery of the image of an astronaut cleaned byRudesind

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Fri Jul 9 07:38:46 PDT 2010

>>> On 7/8/2010 6:55 AM, António Pedro Marques wrote: ?? You've asked it
>>> ONCE, I've reported you to the endless discussions on that at the time
>>> it was put forward, and I've explained how it isn't a good analogy.
>>
>> James Wynn wrote (08-07-2010 13:30):
>> ??? Here are the following threads you've responded to on this:

>>> On 7/7/2010 4:18 PM, António Pedro Marques wrote: I'm not talking about
>>> narrative advantage. I'm talking about speculative advantage. And as a
>>> side note I'm against the idea of narrative advantage. I don't see that
>>> real life employs it, why should fiction?
>>
> On 7/9/2010 5:56 AM, António Pedro Marques wrote:
> This is 'I've explained how it isn't a good analogy'.

Actually, I'm pretty sure you haven't.  Cite the email where you did.
And it won't count unless you use the words "Dorcas" and "grandmother".
If you have, I can't understand why you haven't cited it. Perhaps your
answers are in code.

Unless you can properly cite your explanation, you've dodged the
challenge a FOURTH time.

Incidentally, by your specialized English, explaining "how it isn't a
good analogy" isn't an "answer". But since I'm pretty sure you haven't
done this in relation to "How does Dorcas being Severian's grandmother
provides any 'speculative advantage'? ", that fact is irrelevant.

>> I said:
>> I remember when the grandmother theory was posed. There was no more
>> textual evidence for it than this Hairy Inire theory. The only reason
>> it's not sitting on the "Half-baked Theory" pile today is because Wolfe
>> uncharacteristically confirmed it to a questioner.
>
> On 7/7/2010 6:05 PM, António Pedro Marques wrote:
> It's probably the only 'puzzle' in the book that everyone gets. The
> only way
> it could be more transparent would be if instead of Cas the boatman would
> have called her Dorcas. It's not like the boatman calls her Fifi.

This "transparent" puzzle was only understood some 20 years after the
book was published.  I'm sure you would have been on the list explaining
it a week after the SotT was published if you had had the opportunity.

u+16b9