(urth) Tzadkiel/Melek Taus

Mr Thalassocrat thalassocrat08 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 8 17:35:10 PDT 2010

Finally got around to tracking something down which had been nagging me.
When I first came to the conclusion that Tzadkiel was a liar and a no-good,
it put me vaguly in mind of a satanic peacock-angel that I'd read of (in a
Patrick O'Brien novel?) in connection with some middle-Eastern sect.
Tzadkiel's eye-wings always struck me as peacock-ish.

Anyway, here he is, the Peacock Angel of the Yazidis:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melek_Taus  The Peacock Angel of the
Yazidis. He has much the same story as Satan/Iblis ("the liar"), except for
the Yazidis, it's a *good* thing that he didn't accept the favored status of
Man.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if Wolfe had this bird and the Yazidi's in mind.

No, I don't think that BOTNS is intended as a Yazidi gospel :)