(urth) Urth Digest, Vol 71, Issue 48

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 7 21:18:33 PDT 2010

>Tim O'Donnell- Far from having a single reading of these books (which I have reread many
>times now) I value the variety of interpretations that can be extracted from
>readings and rereadings.

I can agree with this. I'll further suggest that in reading this work of science fiction,
we have a spectrum of preferences ranging from the more scientific to the more
fiction/artistic. Some prefer to understand this story with the tools of science-
objective observation of the "facts" and parsimony (Occam) in interpretation. Others
enjoy artistic interpretation which relies on in-depth cultural understanding and
intuitive leaps of faith. Credit to Gene wolfe for creating literature which appeals
to both ends of the spectrum and those in between.