(urth) The mystery of the image of an astronaut cleaned byRudesind

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Wed Jul 7 20:24:26 PDT 2010

There needs to be a principle of, I don't know, conservation of
explanation or something. And we need to call each other on it.

For example, if a mysterious figure gains powers (expert acting,
sharpshooting, shapeshifting, timetripping) to explain specific textual
features, that in other contexts begin to overlap and become redundant
(i.e., a feature can be explained by any of these powers), then we have
a condition of overexplanation. There are more explanations than there
are problems and they contradict one another. Why would the burglar use
his powers of disguise if he could simply go back in time to when the
apartment was empty? And so on. Wolfe's characters often address this
issue directly.

Overexplanation is a violation of form. Sometimes the most mundane
explanations are best, because they require the least effort and never
lead to redundancy. One asks questions not to challenge but to test.

I'm afraid I'm not expressing myself well, but does this make sense?