(urth) The mystery of the image of an astronaut cleaned by Rudesind

António Pedro Marques entonio at gmail.com
Wed Jul 7 16:15:00 PDT 2010

James Wynn wrote (07-07-2010 22:54):
> On 7/7/2010 4:33 PM, António Pedro Marques wrote:
>> Whereas you've done the reverse: you think everything in the stpry
>> must serve some purpose, yet speculation is free to roam.
>
> I think his point was "Inire is repeatedly compared to a monkey. This
> comes up several times with other characters. Are these flags that Inire
> is or has been in other guises. If not, what does Wolfe's repeated use
> of these simian signifiers mean? Why do they occur repeatedly?"
>
> I don't know if he's on to something or not. But saying "I don't see how
> this changes anything" is just not an answer. A lot times, you don't
> know a plot element changes anything until a good while after you've
> accepted it as true.

I'm positing it as true - say, Rudesind is Inire. And I'm asking 'and now
what?'. And I'm not getting an answer.

As to the significance of the simian signifiers, it could of course be that
wherever they're present we're dealing with an agent of Inire. Never
disputed that. Though I find it a wild stretch.

Or maybe they tell us more about the characters' idea of monkeys than of the
beings being characterised.