(urth) Silmarillion

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Wed Jul 7 14:03:24 PDT 2010

> This is only one reading.

This is the way Tolkien described it. See "The Letters of  JRR Tolkien"

> In what way does what you say contradict what I say?

Well, to the extent that 1) what I say is the way Tolkien described the
creation of his world in very straightforward and engaging terms, and 2)
that he never offered "deep history" as an explanation...well it doesn't
*contradict* what your saying. Saying "Oranges grow from trees in
Florida" does not contradict "Oranges can be thought of as a symbol of
fertility." But only one statement tells me where to buy oranges wholesale.