(urth) Inire as a hierodule

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 7 12:49:06 PDT 2010

Well, the archetypes for hierodules would be Barbatus and Famulimus,
(not sure about Ossipago, I think he is different). They are very tall
outer space people who are supernaturally beautiful beneath their
masks. They dispense technological artifacts to Baldanders to allow
certain types of knowledge to disseminate among humanity but they avoid
direct interaction and interference.

Father Inire is really different. He is short and ugly. He builds public
buildings and private palaces, plants averns to block manatees and has
been directly involved in human politics for hundreds of  years, advising
autarchs, leading enemy armies through jungles and goofing around with
adolescent young beauties. I think more than an age difference is needed
to explain why he is so different from B and F.

As I see it he is best seen as a failed hierodule, one who has violated
the Prime Directive as so many misguided villains of Star Trek did. Or,
in more religious terms, he is a fallen hierodule who has not correctly
followed his divine tasks. As such, like Moses who wasn't evil but who
also failed God, he will not be allowed to enter the Promised Land
(Ushas). (hence the Mt. Nebo reference for Isangoma in the Jungle Hut).
http://www.keyway.ca/htm2001/20011015.htm