(urth) The Secret House Within BotNS

António Pedro Marques entonio at gmail.com
Wed Jul 7 11:03:27 PDT 2010

Hi Lee,

Thanks for your exposition, I agree with much though not all of it, but it
addresses a different question than the one I was asking. I'm empahtically
not dismissing that kind of approach. I'm calling for it to be purposeful.

I think my reply earlier in the afternoon didn't make it to the list, so
I'll just repeat it below:

Lee Berman <severiansola at hotmail.com>:
> For me, BotNS is built (NOT coincidentally) like House Absolute. There
> is a main structure and a second, secret house which has been built co-
> extensively within it. As the Secret House was constructed by Father
> Inire, I find it appropriate to think the secret structure of BotNS is
> centered on that character. If you don't think there are undiscovered
> mysteries in the story or don't find the search enjoyable I can
> understand that. The main story is really great and I spent years
> enjoying it on that level alone. But I always felt there was more.

But that's not at all what I'm saying. Of course there are loadheaps  of
dots to connect. What I'm arguing against is their wanton connection
- precisely because there is so much to work with. That's why I insist on
results: don't connect things because you believe they fulfill some pattern
- patterns are a dime a dozen. Rather, connect  them if they lead to novelty.