(urth) The mystery of the image of an astronaut cleaned by Rudesind

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Mon Jul 5 11:10:15 PDT 2010

To be fair, Inire's importance-to-visibility ratio is quite high. That
is, for a character so vital to the plot---to the plot, not the
story---to be so rarely and only indirectly seen is remarkable.

However, I think that itself rules out Rudesind. Wolfe likes to let
characters unfold themselves through their speech. Rudesind is right
there in plain sight, folksy ways and all. If he were Inire, our only
glimpse of Inire's speech and manner when he's not talking to little
girls is Rudesind and his letter to Severian. They don't match, and
Rudesind doesn't match with Thecla's tale. Inire would have to be an
actor, of which there are plenty others. But he's not an actor, and he's
got other things to do than risk giving himself away to Severian.

Also, Inire is described as being of middling height or similar.
Rudesind is quite tall.