(urth) The Politics of Gene Wolfe

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Sun Jul 4 11:52:46 PDT 2010

Half the history of the human race is the history of mob violence. But
American race violence worsened through the turn of the 20th century.
That's not to say it wasn't an issue earlier. Protecting your town
against attackers from another town, as happened in the most notorious
riots, would certainly call for a militia, but in the late 1700s, Indian
"raids" were probably more on peoples' minds.

The towns had watches; the 2A was probably not primarily meant to
support them.