(urth) Lives of the Great Beasts

Milton Jackson miltonwjackson at gmail.com
Sun Jul 4 06:50:36 PDT 2010

Oh, i completely agree about the existence of large intelligent creatures
under the sea. baldanders and Juturna confirm that just by their existence.
(As an aside, I like the fact that Wolfe acknowledged a human the size of a
sauropod dinosaur or a whale could only exist in the water.) Anyway,
wondering if Erebus and Abai actually exist was just idl speculation on my
part. Other characters do confirm their existennce, but the fact that Wolfe
never brings even the shadow of one into the story and describes them as
being of a size that, under the stresses of Earth's gravity, would be
problematic (thoguh as you note, this could be a hyperbolic description) at
best has caused me to speculate if they might not be some kind of Wizard of
Oz-style distractions. You're right though. Wolfe probably intends Erebus
and Abaia to actually exist in the story.