(urth) Brother Cook and Brother Porter: Robots or Crappy Torturers?

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Sun Jul 4 05:03:24 PDT 2010

On 7/4/2010 6:31 AM, David Stockhoff wrote:
> They could also just be titles---whoever is the cook is Brother Cook.

Brother Cook doesn't even do all the cooking, though. "Soon there is
scrubbing and kitchen work. Brother Cook performs such cooking as might
be interesting or pleasurable, and the apprentice is left to pare
vegetables, serve the journeymen, and carry an endless succession of
stacks of trays down the stairs to the oubliette."

And Brother Porter is *old*. "But, oh, how much it cost me to walk past
the open tower door and looking out see the corpse door in the curtain
wall, and old Brother Porter lounging there."

Looking back over Severian's elevation, I think it might be that they
declined the fuligin but asked to remain and serve the Order.

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
IEEE Student Chapter Blog at
< http://ieeetamut.org >