(urth) The Wizard Knight Theology

Gerry Quinn gerryq at indigo.ie
Sat Jul 3 14:57:36 PDT 2010

From: James Wynn

>I thought it was clear that Arnthor, his sister, and Garsecg/Setr were actually dragons in the lower world, Muspel. They simultaneously exist there as dragons. Humanity Rule by Dragons is a figure, I think, of a man ruled by his base instincts: sex, food, acquisition.

I see no evidence that Arnthor and Morcaine utrilise their dragon aspects elsewhere.  Morcaine is introduced as dinner for a dragon.  Later Able speculates.on the issue of whether Arnthor's dragonly equipment may be an impediment to his relationship with Gaynor, but this seems a little doubtful to me, even if it fits her character somewhat.   [It is unfortunate he could not have found a woman like Idnn, who would, at least after a pep talk with Able, take such issues in her stride.  So to speak.]

>Well, it's true I'm speaking in terms of the intended message as I see it. Michael says that in order true have Disiri, Able must learn to summon her...that is he must be her her master...that is, he must master his lower desires. In order to do that, he defeats his dragon Grengarm and goes --the opposite direction from Aelfrice-- to Skai. After that, he has become a knight Mythgarthr sense and can perform all the duties of a knight that he has pledged. And *then* he can summon Disiri.

I can buy this interpretation.  Though I am not 100% convinced by it.

Of course Disiri is also Woman... and as usual Wolfe is less than wholehearted in proclaiming Her superiority.

- Gerry Quinn