(urth) Lives of the Great Beasts

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Sat Jul 3 11:57:37 PDT 2010

I don't understand. You're right about "megatherian" and the linguistic
pattern it fits. But what's your point otherwise?

Do you think Wolfe didn't know someone had come up with a similar term
for the Great Beast? It's possible, but who really cares---at very
least, they were doing the same thing. If he did know---and the man
knows more than I do---it doesn't mean Wolfe imitated Crowley: it just
means that words have resonance.

Is it possible to say "The Lives of the Daemons" and not invoke "The
Lives of the Saints"? The thing about the linguistic pattern you note is
that it depends on those very resonances.

All books are made of other books.