(urth) Lives of the Great Beasts

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Fri Jul 2 19:29:42 PDT 2010

On 7/2/2010 5:05 PM, Jonathan Goodwin wrote:
> As I understand it, Crowley added "mega" to the word "therion," which
> does not appear with that modifier in the Apocalypse, to describe
> himself. I find it dubious that Wolfe would rely on a term used by an
> idiosyncratic megalomaniac, when the more literal description fits the
> text so much more clearly.

I'm not sure what you mean. "Megatherians" is in the text. If
"megatherion" is somehow tainted, why wouldn't he use somesthing less
similar? It equally skims close "Megatherium", the name for the
prehistoric giant sloth of the region, and whose latter-day counterpart
appears in the Well of Orchids. Sloth biographies?

Or it could refer these, equally colorful fellows:

http://www.150.si.edu/chap3/club.htm

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
IEEE Student Chapter Blog at
< http://ieeetamut.org >