(urth) Lives of the Great Beasts

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Fri Jul 2 14:31:50 PDT 2010

On 7/2/2010 2:51 PM, Jonathan Goodwin wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 2:41 PM, Jeff Wilson<jwilson at io.com>  wrote:
>
>> I don't think these are the same megatherians as the eponymous seventeen
>> black magicians. Though some of the seventeen were doubtlessly in league
>> with the mountain-sized crew, and I'd have to guess that they symbolize
>> opportunist forces who bodily intrude where camel's nose, mortal sig, went
>> before.
>
> Could you explain in more detail what you mean? This doesn't make any
> sense to me at all.

Aleister Crowley, a notorious occult figure, called himself or at least
identified with among many other labels, The Great Beast. Megatherian
means "great beast."  At the time of BoTNS' writing "satanic panic" was
coming into popularty, especially with other occult figures like Anton
Lavey openly operating satanic churches and even merchandising with book
deals like _The Satanic Bible_. Obviously these sorts of people live
fabulously lurid, biography worthy lives, and just as there have been
any number in centuries past like Cagliostro, surely any number more
will continue to come over the chiliads.

The connection with the alien powers is an inversion of the
sanctifactory true service to a false god transforming one into a
defacto servant of the true god; a selfish, unpowered conman or gifted
person who prostitutes their gift for personal gain and notoriety are
thus corrupting themselves into ready tools for deception and malice in
the service to the alien unworthy cause greater than themselves, while
even believing they are doing good toward this "higher" purpose.

Juturna might be an example of such a person.

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
IEEE Student Chapter Blog at
< http://ieeetamut.org >