(urth) The mystery of the image of an astronaut cleaned by Rudesind

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Fri Jul 2 10:36:26 PDT 2010

You have a point about finding specific photos. Even though Wolfe was in
publishing and no doubt knows more than a little about how and where to
find images, there was no Web gallery to browse. However, we're not
necessarily looking for a photo Wolfe saw. It could have been a photo
someone else saw and painted. It could have been an image in our
national memory, or our shared fannish memory. It could have been his
own bad memory.

I still think this is an worthwhile quest, because:

(1) The book may have had the same effect on me as it did on you, and
I'd be fascinated to know the truth.

(2) Issues of memory are hardly irrelevant to the novel. Nor are issues
of myth.

(3) Is the painting a Borgesian artefact? Is it a knowingly false but
truer-than-true insertion?

(4) Is it an SF in-joke, as might be if the image was on the cover of
Astounding?

Error? Red herring? MacGuffin? These are basic interpretive questions.
I've already suggested that I don't think Wolfe makes things up when he
has an alternative at hand. Thus the question: was there an alternative
to making it up?

Keep in mind that this painting is the only plain link to the 20th c in
the entire book(s), if you set aside the many pulp references.