(urth) The mystery of the image of an astronaut cleaned by Rudesind

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Fri Jul 2 09:16:50 PDT 2010

>>> It's true that the figure holds the flag. But you have to allow for
>>> some poetic license as far as visor color and earth distance.
>>
>> _Maybe_ visor color since it is not "entirely gold". But there's no
>> requirement for Urth size is there?
>
> I think "entirely gold" is meant to convey the entire visor is gold
> colored, rather than merely a gold band across the eyes or some other
> arrangement of detail.

I take it to mean that the visor looked like it was made of gold. That
works for the picture.The black could readily be scene as part of the
reflection on the visor.

>   Speaking of the visor, if you click to show the full resolution of
> the second image linked, you can see another astronaut (apparently
> Harrison Schmitt) rather than "nothing more".

Eh...I can see what might be an arm since I know what to look for.

But on reflection, it would have been pointless in this case to
reference a single photo among the hundreds taken and illustrations
created of the lunar landings. Wolfe described a picture that included
the important elements for us to identify the scene and context. We can
easily imagine the scene based on his description.

On the other hand, what is Severian looking at when he sees "a dancer
whose wings seemed leeches"?

u+169b