(urth) Hello, I'm a Newb

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Thu Jul 1 18:16:46 PDT 2010

Hey Nicholas! Welcome to the Monkey House.

On 6/30/2010 4:28 PM, Nicholas Jost wrote:
> 3.) Has anyone else had difficulty explaining the plot to his aged
> grandmother and consciously skipped over the Dorcas character?

My mother is also an aged grandmother, but she ended up explaining the
plot of The Boy Who Hooked The Sun to me without knowing it, as part of
her Hawaiian vacation slide show.

> 4.) Is Severian a proto(/post)-Christian (not -like) figure in a Mormon
> universe? That is it seems to have an endless hierarchy of gods. The
> concept of an "uncreate" blows this theory but the robots seem to have
> an endless hierarchy topped (roughly) by a race.

The Mormon cosmology has some sophisticated nested structure, and there
are indeed similar structures in the ascendancy of the Hieros and the
supervision of the Urthly galaxies from the superior beings of Yesod,
but the works maintain there's still one eternal Increate outside all of
it. The exultant class *might* be a comment on the LDS' Exalted Man
concept of an embodied God among many such, but it might equally likely
be a coincidence.

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
IEEE Student Chapter Blog at
< http://ieeetamut.org >