(urth) Fifth Head of Cerberus surfaces again

Gwern Branwen gwern0 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 13 05:10:10 PST 2010

> 'My cohort's education is always foremost in my mind, but in the past I've typically resorted to misdirections that (once discovered) set the project back substantially. This time - and I recognize that this is strange - I am actually taking his predilections into account. Before, I would have flopped a book like The Fifth Head of Cerberus onto his Intuos and said "eat this, *dog*." I'm taking a different tack now, a breadcrumb trail, so that his mind is starving at the end of each book, and into that ravenous mind I will continuously heap works of burning fire and terrible consequence.'
http://www.penny-arcade.com/2010/1/13/

It's funny because the insult is 'dog'.

But it's also worth noting that the link is to Wikipedia. Since
penny-arcade.com records a few hundred thousand hits a day (
http://www.statsaholic.com/penny-arcade.com ), odds are good that this
is most of the readers' first exposure to Wolfe. It will be
interesting to keep an eye on
http://stats.grok.se/en/201001/The_Fifth_Head_of_Cerberus and see just
how much the article traffic spikes. If it doesn't go to at least a
thousand, I will be disapointed :)

--
gwern