(urth) Soldier Of The Mist: first reading (mit spoilers)

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Fri Jan 22 09:16:43 PST 2010

On 1/21/2010 12:42 PM, sonofwitz at butcherbaker.org wrote:
> I'm assuming all of Latro's companions are significant beyond their
> surface details.  Why is "The Black Man" so loyal? Why is Io (the only
> character given an actual Goddesses name, unless I'm mistaken) able to
> hold her own against Drakaina's malice?

I am thinking "The Black Man" favors Latro because Latro has forgotten
his tribalism and doesn't think to treat him like an outsider based on
his race, and also because Latro is even more of an outsider and
vulnerable to exploitation than he.

Io was the mortal priestess of Hera seduced by Zerus and then disguised
as a heifer, etc. Not a goddess, as she was not placed in the heavens,
at least not until Galilean times. I don't see much of a connection with
the Io of myth, except the girl is a sort of mascot during their trek,
similar to the heifer's flight from Hera's stinging gadfly

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
IEEE Student Chapter Blog at
< http://ieeetamut.org >