(urth) Soldier Of The Mist: first reading (mit spoilers)

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Sat Jan 23 12:06:48 PST 2010

>>> Well, I don't know if she was mortal. IIRC she was a nymph, a daughter
>>> of a river god. And she is typically associated with the Moon.
>
> _Twister_ aside, I don't think she is intended to be the same cow that
> leapt over the moon. She had to run awfully far for refuge for a river
> nymph, across the Bosphorous and all the places called "Ionian".

I agree, but I think there is an Io connection (maybe lots for all I know).
That fountain Latro comes to before they take him to Apollo's temple is
connected to the story of Cadmus, the founder of Thebes. Cadmus intending to
sacrifice a COW. He sent some men to that fountain but there was a huge
serpent there (the son of Apollo) which killed the men who went there to
fetch water. Lots more happens, but they never get around to offering that
cow for all I know.

In SotM, Io is being offered at the temple of Apollo, but the pythoness
starts talking and, next thing you know, Io is on the road with Latro.

J.