(urth) Severians Later Appearance (Spoilers)

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Tue Jan 12 11:44:30 PST 2010

First, apologies for posting the entire digest last time!

I too had some trouble with that episode. But I'd respond with 2 comments:

(1) Why would Silk/Horn be part of Severian's story of his rise to the throne/ascent to godhood? That is after all the rhetorical thrust of his narrative. Random meetings with gods and ghosts that he may not even understand would not necessarily belong in it. And if he already believes in such beings, why would he even comment?

(2) Wolfe plainly wrote Urth to fill in gaps and make Book more accessible---he states this somewhere. With Merryn, I'd guess he wanted to tie up another loose end as well as clarify that Short Sun is in the same cycle as New Sun. Pretty mundane but important motives.

Message: 6