(urth) Babbie, a Destrier?

Tom Hopkins topkins at hotmail.co.uk
Mon Jan 11 07:52:37 PST 2010

My problem with this is that in Appendix of Shadow of the
Claw, Wolfe is acting as the translator rather than the writer himself. He only
knows the facts provided by Severian, and if Destriers were to have 8 legs it
may be something he were to take for granted, as for him it would be
commonplace and known by nearly all; and therefore fail to mention. With
animals throughout the books he rarely describes them in depth, merely by name
as he assumes we would know what they are. I feel this could be another such
case, or maybe merely something Gene Wolfe decided to elaborate on later in
another series as nothing contradicts it in the original text.

The main problem I have is just how similar they are, unless its just Wolfe
playing tricks I feel there must be a reason behind it. I also found the Shear
Bear mentioned in the Long Sun omnibus to be very reminiscent of the Alzabo in
New Sun; this however is more of a guess and has much less evidence to support
a link between the two. The only real inclination I got of this was merely in
the text where the Shear Bear is mentioned it does sound similar to the
attributes of an Alzabo.

Another point I feel worth mentioning which relates to all 3 is that the Hus,
Destriers and Alzabo are all described as having red eyes. Whilst this could
well be nothing, it seems curious to me as all 3 (If we are counting Hus and
Destriers as separate) are of alien origin, with at least the Destrier being in
some way a construct of man. Does this hint a connection between them all, in that
they are possibly from the same planet or eco system?

I'd be very interested to hear thoughts on the matter, thanks.