(urth) Losing Imitation

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 28 14:14:19 PST 2010

>James Wynn: Actually, that's the opposite lesson of Dr Veil and of the evolutionary
>loss of the carapace. If the abos are perfect imitations, then they must lose the
>ability to shape-shift away from their imitation.

On this I must cite direct text as evidence:

>Aunt Jeannine: "If Veil was correct then you and I are abos from Sainte Anne, at least
>in origin...Do you think "he" was right?"

>Number Five: "I don't think it makes any difference.  He said the imitation would have to be
>perfect, and if it is, they're the same as we were anyway".

>Aunt Jeannine: "Number Five, you're too young for semantics and I'm afraid you've been led
>astray by that word 'perfect'...The imitation could hardly have been exact, since human
>beings don't possess that talent and to imitate them 'perfectly' the abos would have to lose
>it."

>Number Five: "Couldn't they?"

>Aunt Jeannine: "My dear child, abilties of every sort must evolve.  And when they do they must
>be utilized or they atrophy. If the abos had been able to mimic so well as to lose the power
>to do so, that would have been the end of them, and no doubt it would have come long before the
>first ships reached them...."

Thus inhumi on Urth, dream-travel be damned, cannot be perfect imitations of humans. They have the
ability to shift back to their original form and have not, can not lose it, on basic evolutionary
principles. (according to Auntie Gene anyway)

Of course Aunt Jeannine goes on to say:

>"veil, who wants a dramatic explanation for the cruelty and irrationality he sees around him, has
>hung fifty pounds of theory on nothing".

I'm sure most remember that Aunt Jeannine IS Dr Veil. Hilarious that Wolfe has anticipated both the
wild theorists about his work and the conservative nay-sayers in one character. Which is he implying
are the correct ones?