(urth) Seeing the signs.....

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 16 04:44:10 PST 2010

>Jeff Wilson: I'm not sure it's consistent to include Agia's hex sign scribbled in the dust and
>not the beats or masks painted on the towers, or the theatrical masks appearing in various places.

Ryan does say: "If you have more to add, by all means share." I'd be interested in more detail or
text quotes for your contributions, Jeff.

The jurupari hex sign is wreathed in letters so I think it needs inclusion on the list. I was most
confused by the inclusion of Gurloes' iron phallus. Severian thinks it is a symbol but then realizes
it is not. It is just a plain old tool (argh! sorry).

Given my current exploration of the role of Dionysus and Great God Pan in the Sun series I was less
interested in the PROPHET's crudely carved staff and more interested in the goatskin he was wearing (heh).
Another Inire-Faunus-Inuus reference? Awfully pagan at any rate, which might be a bit odd from a straight
Judeo-Christian interpretation for a prophet in a play called Eschatology and Genesis
.

Still, at least two possible Inire incarnations do carry a staff, one topped with a monkey-head another
with a man-head.