(urth) Who's Right

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 3 06:53:37 PST 2010

>Ryan Dunn- My perception of the BotNS, in my readings, leads me more down the "we're watching you,"
>premise, where others may not feel that is as central to the story.

I'm with you on that Ryan. My Father Inire ideas can be rendered silly by focusing on the ephemera
like monkeys and hair color and ignoring the central theme which is that Severian is being watched and
steered. It is a common debator's trick.

In my view, Severian is being watched and steered by more than once force, forces which are, to some
degree, in opposition. Though, of course, by hammer and anvil analogy, the Increate needs both forces to
shape Severian into what he must become.

There are the forces from the sky who are steering Severian toward creating Ushas and thus ensuring the
creation of their race. But I think there is also a faction on Urth that wants something else from Severian.

As I recently outlined in a private correspondence I think this "something else" can be winnowed from the
words of the Old Leech who has left Nessus to work for Vodalus in the Jungle seeking knowledge nobody else
has ever had. I think the target of his studies must be the only person who has such unique knowledge: Severian.
He alone in the universe has the "knowledge"/ability of true resurrection of the dead.

Many of the episodes to which Severian seems steered towards can be interpreted as for the purpose of observing
him in action: Dorcas at the lake, avern duel, Little Severian, Typhon, Miles, Leech etc. Leaving Urth then
returning, the action resumes with Ceryx and Zama.

There has been much discussion on this board of Severian's resurrection powers, usually in a Christian context.
I notice that the desire for resurrection from the dead is a recurring theme in pagan mythology. Gods and
heroes are often going to the Underworld to try to restore a loved one, usually with poor results. On Urth
there are some sub-standard methods of resurrection as seen from Vodalus, The Cumaean and Ceryx. I can
understand a conspiracy by the older powers to try to wrest the secret of true resurrection from the Christ-
figure before he becomes aware of his own special status.