(urth) finally read AEG

Jerry Friedman jerry_friedman at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 2 06:33:34 PST 2010

From: Cliff Judge <transentient at gmail.com>

> It was definitely my least favorite Gene Wolfe novel and I have read all of
>them except for that
> one really old one.

I liked it much better than my least favorite, TUotNS.

According to somebody, possibly with the initials J. W., Wolfe seems to be very
proud of it and especially proud of Cassie and Bill Reis.  I'm not sure anyone
here has said they understand why.  Wolfe mentioned in that recent interview in
Black Gate that he's tempted to write a sequel.

> One question and one observation:

> Q. When Cassie was watching the news, to get across the idea that the world of
>this novel
> was kind of fallen, the reporter interviewed a young man on the street who wore
>a golden
> phallus about his neck. Why did Wolfe choose to give the Autarch a cameo
>appearance?

Assuming the "obscene symbol" was a phallus, I still don't see him as the old
Autarch.  The young man has an incipient beard.

But there are lots of cameos in AEG.

> O: Izanami was one of the two most important gods in the Japanese pantheon; she
>married
> Izanagi and they had several children. The last child was the god of fire.

Thanks, I didn't know that.

Jerry Friedman