(urth) Who's Right?

Gerry Quinn gerryq at indigo.ie
Wed Dec 1 07:43:17 PST 2010

-From: "Lee Berman" <severiansola at hotmail.com>

> In recent posts as diverse as Gerry Quinn's, Mark Millman's and Thomas
> Bitterman's, as well as
> many times in the past, I've noticed the implication that this message
> board might not serve simply
> as a place for sharing ideas.
>
> I am wondering how many here at least partially consider their role here
> to be serving as a jury member,
> with a duty to render judgement or cast a vote on whether a presented idea
> is too outlandish or
> over-interpreted or perhaps actually worthy of entry in the Accepted
> Lupine Gospel (or whatever it was
> that Roy C. Lackey called it).

I wasn't implying anything of that kind.  I *do* think that criticising
ideas is as important as sharing them.  Ideas per se are almost worthless;
anybody can come up with a million of them.  We need ideas that have
explanatory power, and some degree of consistency with the text as a whole.
(This was what I was hinting at when I suggested Vine might come from
Viron - that's a deliberate example of a *bad* idea, and if I had gone on to
talk about how it could have been arranged by time travelling hierodules for
some obscure purpose, it would just have made it worse.)

> Except for a few slips in certain interviews, we know Gene Wolfe ain't
> talking. So is it a legitimate
> function of this board to serve as a review panel? Perhaps even with some
> measure of authority? Just
> curious what people think about this.

I certainly am not angling for any such idea.  Certainly a formal voting
procedure would not only be divisive but would lead to problems of sock
puppetry or worse.  I don't even believe in the concept of a definitive
Lupine Gospel - there are lots of things on which there is plenty of room to
disagree.

But I certainly don't believe in giving ideas I consider excessively
fanciful a free pass.  Ideas need quality control!  I am probably one of the
more conservative posters here in terms of evaluating new ideas, and no
doubt those who are more inclined to 'let a thousand flowers bloom'
sometimes find my objections irritating.  All I can suggest is that they
take them in the spirit of Nietzche's maxim: "What does not kill me makes me
stronger".  Ideas that can stand up to objections are the sort of ideas that
can progress rather than derail understanding.

- Gerry Quinn