(urth) City on Green

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Fri Dec 31 20:29:37 PST 2010

Thinking of the etymology of "Nessus," I recall that it is the name of a
centaur slain by a poisoned arrow. When we visit Nessus, we see the
river Gyoll many times, which must be very polluted by the time it
reaches the dead zones. As it slashes across Nessus, it is very like a
poisoned arrow. I assume this is the conventional view.

When we visit the city of the Neighbors/Inhumi, we mostly encounter the
big sewer. I don't like where this leads, but there it is. (It's like
the flushing of the Vincula at Thrax, too, so maybe this is not a
remarkable similarity.)

As for the vastness: the city of Nessus is uncontrollable, like a living
thing that is born and dies daily. It is a megacity, technically. Such
cities are indeed nexuses.

On 12/31/2010 6:45 PM, António Marques wrote:
> Hi Roy,
>
> You're right in your frustration at the way some behave sometimes; all
> the same I don't think everything is worthless fancy. If I bother
> pointing out problems in some theories that appear here, it's solely
> in the hope that they'll be improved on, or interesting alternatives
> developed. Granted, it is not well received, but on the whole I think
> it kind of works.
>
> I don't think Green is Urth either, though obviously that's
> unfalsifiable: given enough leeway (and time is relative so we have as
> much as we want to) anything can turn into anything else (I think some
> contributors here haven't yet gotten that). I do think the
> relationship, if any, betweem the City of the Inhumi and Nessus is
> worth exploring. Your objections would be unsurmountable if we were
> discussing a short period of earthly history, but we're not.
>
> - When did the Neighbours leave the scene? Those buildings won't last
> another thousand years - that means they can't be that old, or that
> wouldn't be remarkable - what are the odds that the Whorl would reach
> Blue/Green almost at the same time, broadly speaking, that the
> Neighbours have vanished?
>
> - Again, what the hell is the purpose of the City of the Inhumi (pace
> Benewicz). Heck, we don't have a city on Blue, where the Neighbours
> came from, but we have an impressive one on Green?
>
> - What's the meaning/etymology of Nessus? Nexus is a superb
> association. What's the purpose of our being told repeatedly how vast
> the city is?
>

> A nice year 2 all.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 101231-1, 12/31/2010
Tested on: 12/31/2010 11:29:37 PM