(urth) Fish and Caves

Marc Aramini marcaramini at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 22 07:06:42 PST 2010

Now, Lee, this mention of Formalhaut, the Fish's Mouth, the first compelling evidence I have seen that in fact Green/Blue is not just Urth/Lune substitute from Yesod, with the last lines of the Short Sun being Good fishing, good fishing, good fishing, etc.

I am under the impression that there is some other mechanism of astral/temporal transport at work that allows Silk et al to go back in time with Rigoglio instead of just across space, that on Green the city they walk through is the ancient remains of Nessus, that they are in a future setting and the bird like man on the cliff with the stiff awkward gate might be the immortal remnant of Sev, etc but what my theory is missing is a compelling reason why they would go to that time period, I can't seem to realy find one except that Silk is obssessing about the dust of the past or something.  (We've seen Silk in weird time paradox situations twice - once in the old lady's story at the beginning of IGJ, and in Long Sun where such a huge deal is made about whether Silk is wearing a blue or black tunic in some scenes - important to keep track of that more carefully on my next read through.)

BUT the fishes mouth, well, you know, let's see where that goes.  And yes, I agree that the story of Fish and Frog must be very important, too, though I used it once to argue that Pia was Sev's sister (her description of dark hair with pale features, high cheekbones and a thin waist really mirrors Sevs, and he finds a girl who looks like Pia eviscerated in Baldander's castle) and that one of them was sent down the river, but someone convinced me the river was headed the wrong way or something.