(urth) Dionysus and the Outsider

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Fri Dec 17 04:42:32 PST 2010

I agree, and I think that's a sound point about not repeating the
Incarnation (which seems to be the term we have adopted and I will try
to use!).

I think many clues point to an economy of Incarnations, if not a
parsimony, and if there are those universes that do not experience it
directly, then there should not be billions that do. There should be one
only (though I can conceive otherwise), and this should be true on both
levels (universe and multiverse), which explains why Urth is so central
to the angel-aliens' concerns even though it probably never the ruled
the galaxy.

On 12/16/2010 11:39 PM, Jerry Friedman wrote:

> I'm inclined to agree with those who say Jesus isn't in Briah.  I
> expect that Wolfe isn't violating what Dan'l says is orthodox
> Catholicism: the Incarnation was truly unique.  I'd give better than
> even money that if he thought about it, he'd say this was the last
> cycle in his fictional plan.  And if I'm wrong, I'd give better than
> even money that if he wrote a story in the universe after ours, it
> wouldn't need an Incarnation but would get by with ours.
>
>  I'd explain the various echoes the way James Wynn would if he were
> inclined that way: echoes of what Wolfe believes happened in our
> universe.  They don't all have to refer to the same person.  After
> all, the Conciliator has resemblances to Jesus, but we know he's not a
> sinless man who also has a divine nature. The same could be true of
> the man who scourged the merchants in Briah, if he was more than a legend.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 101216-1, 12/16/2010
Tested on: 12/17/2010 7:42:32 AM