(urth) (no subject)

Matthew Weber palaeologos at gmail.com
Thu Dec 16 15:03:25 PST 2010

On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 2:56 PM, James Wynn <crushtv at gmail.com> wrote:

>> 2) I'm of Jewish descent, and if I were a practicing Jew (rather than
>> a rather poorly practicing Catholic) I would take strong offense at
>> your characterization of the Torah. That is a Christian's view of the
>> Torah, but not a Jew's.
>>

> Not since the end of the Second Temple, certainly.  Point taken.
>

> I took Matthew's post to be speaking from the POV of a Christian theology
> to the exclusion of others.
> Albeit, it must be admitted that his characterization was originally
> defined by Jews who happened to believe that Jesus was the Jewish promised
> savior.
>
> And, as I was instructed by an Orthodox Jew, modern Judaism was born in the
> 2nd century to continue Jewish traditions in absence of a Temple and in
> conscious response to Christians.

That's funny; I was just thinking (after reading Dan'l's response) the same
thing--that modern Judaism has been unalterably conditioned by the loss of
the Temple and the dominance of Christianity.  The destruction of the Temple
certainly put paid to the Sadducees; today's rabbinical tradition is a
direct descendant of the Pharasaical party which gets such a bad rap in the
Gospels.

--
Matt +

Let each man pass his days in that wherein his skill is greatest.
    Sextus Propertius (54 B.C.-A.D. 2), Elegies, II, i, 46