(urth) Faterh Inire Theory

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Sun Dec 12 20:01:32 PST 2010

>Gerry Quinn- There are mailing lists devoted to Star Trek.  This one, however, is concerned
>with the works of Gene Wolfe  I find the latter considerably more interesting.

Now that's a snotty comment, heh! But an honest opinion I'm sure. Please consider that I am
not writing with you only as an audience. I don't know if you have any background in public
speaking or performance as I do but if ever called to the task I recommend occasional
humorous departures from your main subject as a way to avoid being a total bore to your audience.

Actually, this whole thread about Gerry's worldview is probably off-topic enough to warrant a
reprimand from Ranjit. (sorry R. I'll try to wrap it up quickly!).

Do you believe in evolution?

>That question is easier.  Of course I do.

I ask because you seem to have a somewhat (or perhaps totally) religious attachment to rationality
and logic as tools for understanding the universe. I see no signs that you question their supremacy
or brook any competition from other forms of interpretation and understanding. So, within an evolutionary
framework,  I am wondering how you think such ultimate universal tools came to reside in the brains of
creatures closer to our ape cousins than mice are to rats.

Do you have a sense of 2001: A.S.O. stuff going on where something like black rectangles from space
uplifted us from animals lookng for bananas to divine masters of perception?

Or is it based on the evolutionary principle of diversity and range. Some (surely most) human beings use
their limited rational and logical abilities simply to chase resources and sex and comfort. While some
human beings are endowed with an extra-large dose of these abilities (like having a longer tail) and only
these few superior humans can use their gifts to plumb the deepest mysteries of the universe (which includes
Gene Wolfe books.

Or is there another explanation you have? I am really interested Gerry. You are a case in study as your flow
of thinking is so different than my current flow. Actually I would be interested in your age also. (I am 49).