(urth) Father Inire Theory cont.

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 11 14:27:40 PST 2010

>Andrew Mason: It seems to me, though, that this runs together two different things.
>There is the literal/symbolic distinction; these can exist together; a
>candle can both be just a light source (literally) and have some Satanic significance
>(symbolically). And there is the distinction between two literal meanings, surface and
>hidden; and these, I feel, are not compatible; Severian cannot both be a virgin and have
>homoerotic experience.

This was an important enough response that I thought it needed its own entry. I will respond
by saying you are wrong. Severian CAN be both a virgin and non-virgin. The reason is because
he is not a material being. His substance is a product of text and mental images. Since the
main text suggests he is a virgin and the sub-text suggests he is not, we can have two
contradictory mental images formed. Which is right? That's the point. Neither or both!

I am not engaging in silly sophistry. I believe Wolfe writes with the exact principles I just
outlined in mind. There is a need for the ability to maintain simultaneous, contradictory
visions to understand Gene Wolfe's work. (especially when it comes to Yesod ;- ))

Why? Because that is the only way you can understand God. God who is of the Spirit and the opposite
of material things yet who created all that we see.  How else can you understand an entity who is
simultaneously the source of all good and all evil. The one who created Heaven and allowed
Hell to be created. Who gave strict orders to Adam and Eve then provided irresistable temptation.

I hope this makes sense.  I asked Gerry Quinn if he believed in God for this reason. If he does
there may be a chance he can understand this. If he is an unredeemable materialist I must imagine
him saying, "no, God can't be 100% good and 100% evil; that is impossible; is he is then he can't exist".

*****

On a slightly less serious note, I've known girls who are both virgins and non-virgins, using the
1 year abstinence rule to regain virgin status. One actually can find validity in this if we accept
that in creating our own self image we operate as a Creator and simulataneous contradictory truths
are possible. In fact I will go out on a limb and suggest that if you are unable to grasp contradictory
truths, you are incapable of understanding God, Gene Wolfe and women ;- ).