(urth) Ouen and Dorcas and ??

Jane Delawney jane_delawney at sky.com
Sun Dec 5 19:20:06 PST 2010

On 04/12/10 21:04, Roy C. Lackey wrote:
> Ryan Dunn wrote:
>
>> If the old boatman (in his 70's?) is looking for his wife, Dorcas, who is
>>
> mid-to-late-teens when resurrected. That would suggest at least fifty years
> have passed since she died, thereabouts.<
>
> He had been searching for her body for "forty years".  (SHADOW. chap. XXII)
> Ouen is about forty-two.

I concur. Also, it is deducible from the text (Dorcas remembers going to
buy clothes for her child, remembers looking after a child and so forth)
that if Dorcas died in childbirth, as is usually assumed, it was in
bearing her *second* child, ie. Ouen's sibling.

What I can't remember right now is whether there is much textual
evidence that Dorcas did in fact die in childbirth. All the old boatman
tells us is that they'd been married four or five years, then 'Cas died.
It's entirely possible she died of other natural causes when Ouen was a
toddler.

But if she did die in childbirth, Ouen was two or three years old at the
time, which would indeed make him forty-two/three when Sev sends him
back to find his mother in Oldgate. But there's no information about
what might have happened to any theoretical sibling. Are we to
understand that the second child died with his/her mother? Or is there
anyone around who might be identified as Severian's paternal uncle or
aunt? I think Borski had a theory on this, but without my books to hand
I can't remember what this theory was alas, and it's far too late right
now for me to come up with any fresh suggestion.

be interested to know if anyone else has any ideas on this though.

cheers

jd